What are Button Batteries?
What Should Parents Do?
Parents and caregivers should not assume that every battery-powered product that enters their home is safe for use by children. In many products, for example, the battery is easily accessible or can fall out when the product is dropped. Make sure that the battery compartments of all electronic items are taped shut and loose batteries are always stored out of children's reach.
A button battery stops powering a device way before it runs out of a charge. So, what we think of as a "dead" battery still has the charge to harm a child if it should get caught in their ear, nose and throat or swallowing passage. The higher the voltage of the battery (3V vs. 1.5V) the faster the injury.S
When a child ingest a button battery, their symptoms could be virtually absent or similar to those of a common infection.
-Nasal Cavity or Ear Canal: Drainage or pain may be noted
-Lodged in body: The electric current in a button battery rapidly increases the pH of the tissue adjacent to the battery, causing significant tissue injury even within two hours.
If You Suspect Your Child Has Ingested a Button Battery
If a parent or caregiver is suspects their child ingested a button battery, the child needs to be taken immediately to an emergency room.
The diagnosis can be confirmed on a two view x-ray. With an x-ray the determination can be made if it is either a battery or a coin. The button battery has a double ring, or halo sign, as opposed to a single ring of the coin.
The treatment for a button battery stuck within the body is urgent removal in order to minimize local tissue damage. Both immediate assessment of the area of battery contact and follow-up surveillance for long-term., delayed complications should be performed to identify acute or delayed injuries.